Labels

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Din Din

Kelli asked me to do a post of a healthy recipe. We were thinking we could take turns posting a healthy meal. Would you guys like to do one a week or more often? Or if it is easier, we can just post whenever we feel the need? Let Kelli know your thoughts (:

Tonight I made rice, chicken and a smoothie for dinner. White rice won't work anymore. Lame. I use to absolutely hate brown rice. It is chewy and bland and I just didn't know what to do with it. A couple of weeks ago I came up with a yummy recipe to help me overcome my hatred.

Brown Rice Pilaf
#1 Chop up some onions and saute in a small (1/2 a tablespoonish) amount of extra virgin olive oil. I also added some fresh garlic. Saute until clear lookin. Pretty technical eh?
#2 When onions are cooked add in 3/4 can of chicken broth. Add at least a tablespoon of dill. MMM Dill! Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice from half of the lemon. Let it simmer for a minute or two to ensure that those onions aren't still crunchy.
#3 Add brown rice. I used Uncle Bens Ready Rice. It is super convenient. Only 190 cal for a whole cup! This is also a good reason to cook those onions...cuz the rice is already ready to eat.
#4 Does the rice look bland and unpleasing to the eye? Well add the lemon...there BAM...some color. Take a taste. I added a little bit of garlic powder, onion powder and pepper....just cuz they wanted to join the party.


It is delightful! Much better than plan old white rice and butter.

With my rice I made bbq chicken. I got some thin chicken boobs slathered them with a little bit of my favorite bbq and threw them in the oven on 375 on a wire rack for 30 minutes.

Missing the fruits and vegetables in this meal you say? How about a smoothie with both?
Okay so there isn't a lot of veggies in it. But I did have a salad today for lunch, that counts for something.

Don't grimace at the spinach. It makes an amazing color and you can't even taste it. The fruit overpowers it.
Isn't she a beauty?
Here's dinner completed. The chicken was big so I only ate half and the rice was a perfect compliment to the bbq.

So there you have it.....my dinner.

Let us know what you feel we should do about dinner ideas. Happy Wednesday everyone! We are getting so close to the weekend!

-Linds

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Mmmmm.... Thanks Linds!